Monday, August 11, 2008

And so it begins...

I suddenly remember what it was like at the Academy, preparing to write a paper and opening up Office Word to see the little line blinking at me as if to taunt me. The only way to silence the blank page is to being to fill it with something, to begin moving towards a completed work. Often this would necessitate going back over what I had previously written and completing substantial revisions, or scrapping it altogether. Isn't that similar to our experience in life at large? We have tasks set before us that seem so daunting "15 pages, double spaced, 1 inch margins," and we don't know quite how to begin; however, we begin by seeking guidance through reading, prayer, and consulting others (or extensive research if you're still hung up on the paper analogy), and then begin to walk. The steps are often slow and hesitant at first, yet we learn and eventually begin to run towards the prize at the end. "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it" (1 Cor 9:24). Athletes are concerned about nutrition, they know it's essential to be well fed by the right foods in order to run their race effectively. Are you watching what your eyes and ears are feeding you? I'm weening myself off the "McDonalds Spiritual Diet" slowly, and trying to seek the right foods...scripture, Christian friendships, and prayer are all great sources of food. Athletes also have trainers who help them develop. Do you have counselors who will give you godly advice? If not seek them out and it will benefit you greatly!


I don't have it all figured out, and I'm learning how to run the race just like you. I hope future posts encourage you and help you as you seek to run your race. I only have this life, and I don't want to waste it walking or staring at the blinking line.

1 comment:

Lizzy said...

I am so proud of you, BE!!!! Can't wait to check up on your adventures and see pics from your time down @ flight school through your new blog!! yay! (o: